No More Faith Schools is a national campaign dedicated to bringing about an end to state funded faith schools.
The campaign was launched by the National Secular Society to give a clear voice to the majority of people who are opposed to state funded faith schools; people and organisations of all different political and religious/non-religious beliefs.
Parents who want to be able to send their child to their local school without preaching or discrimination. Teachers who want to apply for jobs they're qualified for regardless of their faith/belief. People of all different walks of life who oppose the discrimination and division wrought by faith schools. This campaign helps these people make their voices heard.
This campaign is a platform for everyone who wants to see an inclusive education system, free from religious control.
Faith schools have a negative impact on social cohesion, foster segregation of children on social, ethnic and religious lines, and undermine choice and equality. They also enable religious groups to use public money to evangelise children.
If you think children from all faith and belief backgrounds should be educated together and allowed to develop their own beliefs independently, join us in saying No More Faith Schools.
Together we can build an inclusive education system today, to ensure an inclusive society tomorrow.
We work by:
- Educating the public, policy makers and politicians on issues related to faith schools
- Promoting national and local activism to oppose faith schools
- Highlighting the stories of real people affected by faith schools and a lack of inclusive schools
The campaign was launched and coordinated by the National Secular Society, which campaigns for the separation of religion and state and equal respect for everyone's human rights, so no one is either advantaged or disadvantaged because of their beliefs.
Help us show support for No More Faith Schools across the country.
As the campaign grows we want to work with supporters on local activism. Here are some of the ways you can help:
- In addition to your local MP, please ask your local representatives what they are doing to support inclusive education and oppose the expansion of faith schools in your area.
- Look out for plans to open new faith schools in your area, or for religious groups taking over non-faith schools.
- Share with us an image or video, letting us know why you oppose faith schools.
If your student group, local society, faith group, party or union branch would like to have a meeting about No More Faith Schools, or you want to organise a local protest and you need some resources please get in touch.
Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Education is a devolved issue. It can still be worth writing to your MP, even on devolved issues, as the discrimination and segregation wrought by faith schools is still something they can take an interest in. However it is a good idea to write to your assembly member/MSP.
Challenge a new faith school
If a new faith school is opening in your area, or a faith group is taking over a non-faith school, we can help. Fill in the form below and someone will be in touch.
- Challenge a new faith school (PDF, 606 Kb)
If a new faith based state school is opening in your area, this guide can help you plan your response.